Monday, January 30, 2012

MIL JV Softball: LAHAINALUNA 6, Baldwin 7 - January 7, 2012


Thanks to Audrey Casicas for e-mailing the schedule for her JV softball team. Otherwise I would never have known they were playing! Or that there is a JV softball team, for that matter!

So after a morning and early afternoon of reflection and mourning, I made my way over to the Maui High Campus to shoot the softball game, boys soccer and girls soccer. Conveniently, there were all within walking distance of each other.

I have never shot a softball game at the Lunas' home field on campus. I have only managed to catch their games at the beautiful Patsy Mink Field facility on the Maui High campus. Best to get there early to stake out a position on either side of the scorekeeper box - you get good vantage points of the pitcher and batter and can zoom out to the fielder's for isolation shots. Oh, and a reminder to self to get a stool or something.

It's pain to shoot through chain-link but thanks to a tip last year from Matt Thayer, I've tried to minimize it. He told me to lose the lens hood and put that lens right up against the chain. Of course, make sure you have a filter on. You don't want to scratch the $1000+ lens.

Last year, I enjoyed shooting from the outfield . . . peering through the holes of the dustbreaker that backs up the chain link. Unfortunately when I walked back there by the left field line, I noticed they fenced it off. Darn it! Now cannot get the angle from the outfield looking in on the catcher and batter.

I spent most of the game going back and forth between the softball field and the soccer field. I tried to make sure I got everyone hitting and in the field. Fortunately, they play a bunch of Saturday games so if I missed anyone, I'd have opportunities to get them later.

The game itself was very exciting. Lahainaluna took an early lead, but Baldwin came right back. I heard that it went back and forth all the way to the end. Baldwin won 7-6.















For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment