Monday, January 30, 2012

MIL Boys Soccer: LAHAINALUNA 2, Maui High 4 - January 7, 2012


In a pivotal match, Maui High defeated Lahainaluna 4-2 to knock the Lunas out of 1st place in the tight boys' MIL standings.

I missed most of the first half because I was attending a funeral. I got there just after 2pm, but being my first time to watch a soccer match at Maui High, I had no idea where to go or where to park. First, I parked out on the side street, thinking maybe I could shoot it from outside the fence or sneak in somewhere. I didn't realize they charged admission to these things so I was surprised to see all the usually access points blocked off.  Then I decided to park by the Jodo Mission and walk across the field to the soccer field. I got to the tennis courts when I realized I had to pay to get in. Of course, my MIL pass was back in the truck!

At that point, I decided to just go all the way to Lono and park in the Maui High School parking lot. So much time wasted. By the time I got to the soccer match, I was exhausted. I got there in time to see #11 of Maui High roll into our goalie and take out his knees. Our goalie was down . . . and out. The Maui High guy got red-carded and kicked out. And I missed it.

Shortly thereafter, the halftime whistle went off. Geez, I had no idea what the score was. There is no scoreboard at this facility. I went to shoot some softball and returned in time for the second half. It was a brutal match. Maui High was playing very well. The Lunas seemed out of it, especially after losing their beloved goalie and leader. Later, I got the scoops from my friend Fred Sinenci. Maui High took advantage of some early penalty kicks and got ahead early. Reece got a yellow. It was very chippy. I also missed what would've been a spectacular shot of Rhys Lendio getting upended by the goalie . . . cuz I was talkin' to Freddy.

At the end, Maui High won. I didn't appreciate the manner in which they got into the faces of some of the Lunas' players, but hey, this is soccer.

On the bright side, I submitted some photos to the Maui News and one of them got published! Sorry Micah Tateishi! I tried to get you on the Maui News, but they chose Rhys Lendio instead!














For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment