Tuesday, January 10, 2012

MIL Boys Basketball: LAHAINALUNA 34, King Kekaulike 53 - January 3, 2012

It's gonna be a long night when your 6'1" scorer is capped by a 5'3" point guard.

The Lunas' boys varsity basketball team welcomed in the new year 2012 the same way it ended 2011 - with a big, resounding DUD. The Lunas were blown out of their home gym 53-34 by the up and coming King Kekaulike basketball team. The Lunas came out uninspired. They never challenged King Kekaulike, who after a slow start, raced out to a 17-4 lead. Looks like the Lunas are 3rd in the MIL hierarchy.

I've never been to a Lahainaluna boys basketball game that ever pissed me off as much as this one. No effort. No care. I've never been disappointed or disgusted or ashamed of a Lahainaluna team's effort, but I was on this night. And it wasn't just the players. I was bewildered by the coaches. They started Chapital and  Peni Taufa. Two freshmen.  Not sure what happened behind the scenes or in practice, but I'm not sure why early season contributors Emil Cariaga and Gavin Kahaialii are now in the dog house. If you're going to experiment with your line-up, do it in the preseason. That is what the preseason is for. Don't do it in an MIL game against a team that is ready and eager to knock you off your pedestal. Not sure what message the coaches are sending to the team, but whatever it was, the players have already tuned them out.

And another thing - I've never been to a Lahainaluna boys basketball game where I wanted to leave before it ended. But tonight, I wanted to pack up and leave in the 3rd quarter and head up to the girls soccer game at Lahainaluna. Who would ever thought I'd think that?














Too bad these guys couldn't put the uniform on. Show 'em what Lahainaluna basketball is about!

For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment