Monday, January 30, 2012

MIL Girls Soccer: LAHAINALUNA 1, Maui High 1 - January 7, 2012



Timing is everything. I went to shoot softball during the first half of the girls' soccer match against Maui High. Softball game was actually kind of exciting and I stayed longer than I planned. By the time I made my way to the soccer field, it was the waning minutes of the first half. As I was walking to my position, Lahainaluna's Maile Altier hit a sweet kick from about 25 yards out and it went in! I missed it! I got my camera up in time to shoot her running back down the field in calm celebration! That sucked!

Little did I know at the time that the goal had given Lahainaluna a 1-0 lead. At the time, I had no idea what the score was. Maui High's Taylor Wakayama would come back down several minutes later and score a goal for Maui High - she hit the ball off of the Lunas' goalie's face then was able to punch in the rebound for the goal. The body language of the Lady Lunas as compared to Maui High led me to believe that Maui High was up. It turns out that was all the scoring in this one: 1-1.

This was also a particularly bruising and chippy contest. A big girl for Maui High kept mauling Raybeka Sinenci. What's up with that? There was one play where a Maui High girl got upended by the Lunas' goalie, but it seemed legit.

Soccer is definitely not for the weak at heart.

Celebrating the goal
















For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment