Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lahainaluna Invitational: LAHAINALUNA 60, Molokai 32 - December 22, 2011



Four days of back-to-back-to-back-to back basketball is a lot of basketball, even for young people. But the Lunas managed to show up and destroy Molokai for 3 quarters before Molokai came back in the fourth quarter to make it respectable.

It was a good way to end the preseason as everyone on the roster got to play. It is likely that the coaches will shorten up the rotation as MIL league play begins and the games start to count.















My Two Cents

I took a half day off today from work to come in early and catch some other games besides the Lahainaluna games. I got some shots of the Kamehameha Maui Warriors as they eked a close win over Cowichan of BC. The game went back and forth but was saved by a sweet block by Luke Batoon on a layup that would've given Cowichan a one-point lead. I was looking forward to shooting Kam Maui to get some shots of Kamaka Keawekane, whose mom Mitzi went to Lahainaluna a couple years behind me. Unfortunately, I did not see him at the game.



The next game was a match up between King Kekaulike and San Pedro of California. For this one, I was looking forward to getting some shots of Chase Bartelme, son of Wayne Bartelme and Janet Iwata, whom I have known for the past 14 years. Chase is a sophomore but very talented with a bright future ahead of him. Unfortunately, he was in street clothes and not playing today. I later learned he had injured his head when he hit it against a backboard while trying to dunk. For real?






The Lunas played their game next. I got to sit next to Gavin Kahaialii's dad, who happened to know my brother Conrad. Conrad graduated a year after he did. It was nice meeting him. Gavin has certainly improved a lot since last season. He is much more confident and assertive and really making a difference on the Court. My goal is get a shot of him dunking in a game.




At the conclusion of the boys game, I headed up to Lahainaluna gym to catch the JV boys and varsity girls' games against King Kekaulike.

No comments:

Post a Comment