Tuesday, December 6, 2011

ROAD TRIP: Traveling with the Lunas - November 18, 2011


Funny how things work out.  A month ago I was assigned to attend a deposition on Oahu on Friday, November 18, 2011. Turns out, the HHSAA Division II football playoff game would be held on that same date against Waipahu. First though, the Lunas had to defeat a tough Konawaena team to make it to the playoff game against Waipahu, who had a bye.

Things worked out well. Lahainaluna defeated Konawaena in resounding fashion. I already had reservations to Honolulu for airfare and car- all paid for by my office because it was a business trip. Moreover, because I had the foresight to schedule my return flight on Go! Airlines, I was able to change my return flight from Friday night to Saturday at no charge because of my membership with the HSBA! The only issue at home was whether my wife was going to join me on Oahu. Then I would've booked a hotel at the Hawaii Prince. Unfortunately, she had to work on Saturday morning so I was going to be traveling solo. WIth that, I booked a cheap hotel room in Waikiki - the Hotel Ambassador. Right on Kuhio at the gateway to Waikiki at $69 per night. Looked kinda sketchy but the reviews were okay. If they made it to the championship game, guarantee my wife and I would go and stay at the Prince. It would've been the day after Thanksgiving - the busiest shopping day of the year. We did it last year, booked it before the Lunas lost to Kaimuki - so we were there to shop but no football game.

My flight to Honolulu was originally scheduled for 11am on Hawaiian Airlines. My deposition didn't start until 1:00pm. But I decided to go to the airport early at 9am to perhaps catch an earlier flight. Premier Club membership does have its advantages! Sure enough, I was able to get on the 9:45 am flight - with half the members of the Lahainaluna football team and coaches! The team was already there, lounging around but otherwise focused for the game. Coach Joey said that they lucked out in getting flights because they basically took seats that Konawaena had booked weeks earlier - I guess they were very confident that they were going to beat Lahainaluna! Got to hang out with my old friend Keone Kaina in the lounge, sipping on soda and getting excited for the game. Remembering that I had my camera gear with me, I took it out to snap some candids of the team managers and players.


No comments:

Post a Comment