Sunday, December 25, 2011

MIL Boys Soccer: LAHAINALUNA 1, Maui High 0 - December 10, 2011




Windy! The fierce winds of Kauaula were definitely blowing this afternoon. For a while there, I thought the match would be cancelled. No rain. Just freakishly windy. Dirt devils. Balls flying over the fence and down Lahainaluna Road. Dark and gloomy - at 4:00pm on a Saturday afternoon.



The match was pretty evenly played. Lahainaluna had some opportunities on goal but could not score. Lahainaluna's goalkeeper is a fearless dude. He's not afraid to get out there and mix it up. I like that!








I left after the first half. Later I learned that the Lunas had won 1-0 on a penalty kick in the 79th minute.

My Two Cents

Coach Sam was late. He had the balls so the guys couldn't really warm up with drills. I had gone early to get shots of the players during warm-ups, because that's a good time to get individual shots of buys kicking the ball etc. But without the balls, there was a lot of standing around and waiting. Or in Jorge Hernandez' case, getting his hair just right.


My friend's son plays for Maui High so I made it a point to get shots of him during warm up and in action. Luckily it was still daytime so I could take advantage of the reach of my Bigma 50-500mm lens. I heard he got a yellow card from Kevin Yuen! Man, I wish I got a shot of that! Classic!


My plan was only to stay for the first half. Then I would drop in on the JV girls, take a few shots then head off to Wailuku to get pictures of the boys basketball game. Then come back to Lahaina to catch the second half of their match. Like I said before - crazy.

For the Maui News article, click here.
For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment