Saturday, December 24, 2011

My Saturdays Will Never Be the Same Again - December 3, 2011

Shooting girls soccer at the Pit. Photo of the shooter by Roxanne Sinenci.

Before I begin, I just wanted to wish my wife a very happy anniversary today. Eighteen years ago we started going out together, as they used to say back in the day. I was a senior at UH, just a few weeks before my graduation, and she was a junior. We've been together since. Without her understanding and patience, I would not be able to do what I do in chronicling Lahainaluna's athletic activities. So thank you, Madelyn.

Starting today and probably into February starts a period of Saturdays full of athletic events. Being just a one-man operation (literally), I cannot be in two places at the same time. Between boys basketball (JV and varsity), girls basketball (JV and varsity), boys and girls soccer, wrestling, swimming and paddling, I will be one busy little photographer. I can't even begin to think about Menehune basketball (boys and girls)!

For example, my schedule for the next few Saturdays:

December 3, 2011

10:00am   Lahainaluna girls soccer vs. Hana at Lahainaluna field
5:30pm     Lahainaluna JV girls basketball vs. Baldwin at Lahaina Civic Center
7:30pm     Lahainaluna girls basketball vs. Lake Oswego (Ore.), championship game at Seabury Hall Wahine Classic (Unfortunately, cannot stay in Lahaina for the boys JV basketball game against Baldwin at 7:00pm, but my rationale is, I cannot miss a championship game and it's a varsity matchup.)

December 10, 2011

9:00am     Maui Invitational Tournament - Lahainaluna wrestling at the Lahaina Civic Center
5:00pm    Lahainaluna Boys Soccer vs. Maui High at Lahainaluna field (1st half only)
5:45pm    Lahainaluna JV girls basketball vs. Maui High at Lahainaluna gym (few minutes only)
6:15pm    Lahainaluna boys basketball vs. Seabury Hall at Baldwin High School (2nd half only - started at 5:30pm)
7:45pm    Lahainaluna girls soccer vs. Maui High at Lahainaluna field (2nd half only - started at 7:00pm)

Sorry to Lahainaluna swimming, which has a swim meet in Kihei at 10:00am and to the girls JV basketball team, which has a 5:30pm start at Lahainaluna gym.

December 17, 2011

10:00am  MIL Swimming at Kihei Aquatic Center
10:30am  MIL Paddling: Meet #1 at Kahului Harbor
3:30 pm  Pick-up the wife at the airport from her PI vacation
????       St. Anthony Invitational Tournament: Lahainaluna vs. who knows and when
4:00pm   Lahainaluna JV girls basketball v. Baldwin at Lahaina Civic Center
5:00pm   Lahainaluna boys soccer vs. St. Anthony at Lahainaluna
5:30pm   Lahainaluna JV boys basketball v. Seabury Hall at Lahaina Civic Center
7:00pm   Lahainaluna girls basketball v. Kamehameha Schools Maui at Lahaina Civic Center
7:00pm   Lahainaluna girls soccer v. St. Anthony at Lahainaluna field

Right now, I am just scrambling to get a hold of schedules for the various sports so that I can coordinate and plan out my schedule for the next three months. The AD says he'll put it up on the Lunasathletics.com website, but that has not been updated in a while. I hope to catch at least all the sports at least once. Swimming and paddling may get at the most coverage on two occasions, but I will do the best I can.

Shooting girls basketball at Kamehameha Schools Maui. Photo by Cam Neizman

Shooting football at War Memorial. Photo by Fred Sinenci.

Shooting the Lady Lunas at the HHSAA State Playoffs in 2011. Photo by Cam Neizman.

No comments:

Post a Comment