Tuesday, September 11, 2012

MIL WATER POLO TOURNAMENT: LAHAINALUNA 4, Kamehameha 8 – April 28, 2012


I finally returned from Chicago on Friday, April 27, 2012. I discovered that the Lunas’ water polo team was playing a do-or-die game against Kamehameha Schools Maui in order to make to States. So I headed out to the Kihei Aquatic Center on Saturday to shoot the action. I got there kinda late. I had no idea who was ahead. Body language told me it was Kamehameha. But I wasn’t sure. It was actually a close game. It was scoreless in the first quarter. Kamehameha exploded in the second quarter, taking a 5-1 lead. Lahainaluna answered with 2 quick goals after the half to come within 5-3, but never got closer the rest of the way.  Ulimately, the Lunas lost 8-4. They failed to make to States for the first time since 2005.













This turned out to be my last MIL game for the 2011-2012 school year. Overall, Lahainaluna was not as successful as the 2011 year where they won a record number of championships. But this year was fun to shoot. Submitting photos to the Maui News and getting them published in sports other than tennis was very gratifying. I felt I improved in using my equipment and taking better shots, using more effective settings. The blogging thing was new and fun, too. I did get backlogged in January when there were sporting events almost every day it seemed like and I couldn’t devote much time to the blog, but with these entries, I have finally gotten close to catching up. Just in time fo r the new year. Here’s hoping for more fun and success next year.



For Maui News articles, click here and here.



For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment