Monday, September 10, 2012

MIL WATER POLO: LAHAINALUNA 3, Kamehameha Schools Maui 7 – April 5, 2012


Anytime there is a swimming event or water polo match up at the Kamehameha Schools Maui campus, I make it a point to get up there. The vantage points are plentiful and diverse (stadium seating above the pool = unobstructed shots).

The Lunas seemed uncharacteristically lethargic in the pool. Their offense struggled and, from my observation, has become stagnant and predictable. Keep the ball out in the perimeter and try to find Bridget Joy in the middle. The offense does not seem aggressive enough – they seem to be a step behind and hesitant when the whistle blows and there appears to be a lack of cutting to the goal to create passing lanes and scoring opportunities from the wing. Again, I admit I have no knowledge of water polo rules or how to play, so my observations are just from the standpoint of a casual fan with a basketball playing perspective. If you don’t put pressure on the goal, you really don’t create too  many opportunities to score. My sense was that the team was concerned about getting back on defense. This is probably due to the inexperience of the team in general with water polo and the lack of strong, fast swimmers to get back on defense. With this second loss of the season, the Lady Lunas do not have a lock on getting to the postseason.












MY TWO CENTS:  As I was waiting for the game to begin, Coach Mason came up to me and thanked me for coming out and taking pictures. That was nice of him. I appreciated that. After shaking hands, he said, "Thanks, Uncle!"  Whoa. First time anyone ever called me "Uncle" that was over the age of 21. What's next to devastate my pride? "Tata?"

Have I really reached "Uncle" status already? Do I really look that old? I guess I am old, relative to the coach! Sometimes reality hits you in the face like a ton of bricks. 

For Maui News article, click here.



For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment