Tuesday, September 11, 2012

MIL TENNIS TOURNAMENT: Qualifying Day 1 – April 19, 2012


My schedule was so busy today I had to take a day off from my day job. All day at Wailea shooting tennis (9am – 330pm). Then off to Maui High to shoot the Lady Lunas softball team in their MIL Tournament game against Maui High from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. Then drive to Lahainaluna to shoot the Lunas’ volleyball team home finale/senior night against Lanai from 6:30pm to whenever. Not much rest after that because there would be tennis all day the following day. I’m going to be so dark after this weekend from all this outdoor shooting!

I was prepared. I had downloaded the brackets and planned out who I was going to shoot and when.  I also allotted some time to shoot my niece, Rachel, who plays doubles for Baldwin (the only exception I make for shooting Baldwin sports is my niece). I brought a little cooler with water, diet coke and some snacks to sustain me during this marathon shooting day. I had a hat and long sleeve shirt and jeans to protect me from the sun. My iPod Touch was charged up and ready to keep me company for the entire day.

In boys singles, #1 seeded Alec Wagner defeated Joseph Griffith of Maui High in the third round 6-0, 6-0. #4 seeded Jordan Baclay defeated Adrienne Sedano of Lanai in the third round, 6-2, 6-0. Hayden Bogar swept Molokai’s Laurentin Jacobs in the second round, 6-0, 6-0, but was stopped in the third round by #3 seed Jhun Gumboc of Maui High, 1-6, 0-6.

In girls singles, Aja Toscano lost to Mehana Fisher of Kamehameha Maui in the second round, 0-6, 2-6 and Kailani Amine was eliminated in the second round by Kirana Soga of Maui High in a hot and sweaty match, 1-6, 6-4, 3-6. Number 4 seed Melissa Taketa swept Maui High’s Laakea Kaufman in the third round 6-0, 6-0. Paige Pasion defeated Selena Agarano of Maui Prep 6-0, 6-0 in the second round and Jade Thurman of Baldwin in the third round, 6-0, 6-1.

In boys doubles, Lahainaluna’s Gaylord Garcia and Kona Jung-Schreiber were stopped in the first round by Mendoza/Pascua of Maui High, 0-6, 0-6. Number 4 seed McNeil Magdaong and Max Linder had a bye on Thursday.

In girls’ singles, Maile Amine and Lakeisha Ching defeated Lanai’s Haban/Stuck 6-1, 6-1 in the first round. Likewise, Jasmine Garde and Valerie Duque defeated Head/San Miguel of Maui Prep, 6-0, 6-3. Number 2 seeded Nicole Aceret and Chantelle Baclay and #4 seed Ezra Baccar and Charvie Anne Duque had byes on Thursday.

Here are some shots from the opening day of the qualifying tournament:







 
















For Maui News article, click here.

For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment