Friday, August 3, 2012

MIL WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS – February 25, 2012



I’ve always admired wrestlers and what they do. The hard work they put in all year round. The intense training. The discipline. The will power to not eat what you want to eat. The ability to wear those singlets and grapple around with other sweaty guys on a mat that’s been sweated on for hours and never been wiped down!



After today’s wrestling tournament, I have also developed a deep respect for the families of wrestlers. They have to endure marathon hours of sitting and waiting and watching . . . bunched together on bleachers that only have been opened on one side of the gym . . .  hoping to keep your comfortable position because it might get taken the moment you get up to take a piss! Not knowing when you’re going home because the matches are taking forever.


And what about the referees. They get no love. They also rarely get breaks. They’re on duty from opening whistle to the final whistle. Crazy.

Baldwin gym has to rank as the second worst gym to shoot at during the day (behind Lahainaluna gym). Very dark. Maroon colored interior makes things even darker. For the tournament, I used my Nikon D7000 because of its superior ISO ability. I also brought my fast lenses – the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and the Nikon 24-70 2.8. I did not use my D300 because I had just gotten it and had no idea how it would perform or how to make adjustments to it for the poor lighting.


The gym was packed. I scanned around for an opening – any kind of opening that my fat ass could fit into – along the sideline bleachers/first row. Preferably in the middle, because that would give me the most opportunities to catch multiple matches going on on the threemats placed on the floor at the same time. Only problem with that is that being first row, you have deal with the constant threat of people walking past you and getting in your line of sight. Oh well. The perils of being an unofficial photographer.

I left Iron Maehara stadium at around 10:45 and got to Baldwin’s gym shortly thereafter. The tournament was already about two hours old. No problem. Lahainaluna has so much wrestlers competing that for sure I would get a fair share of wrestlers in my photos. Luckily I found  a position about 3/4ths into the gym, surrounded mostly by Lahainaluna wrestlers and families. So I felt safe there.

142- Ferdinand Magbual

142 - Bubba Jaramillo

191 - Connor Mowat and Joshua Coston

Father and Sons: Kekoa Mowat with sons Holden Mowat and Connor Mowat

287 - Bodean Bates

110 - Gary Long

116 - Kiana Yamat vs. Sierra Pico (Molokai)

116 - Kahi Tihada and Jansen Panlasigui-Domingo


122 - Jacob Ramirez

127 - Mark Alamon

127 - B.J. Pagdilao-Bala

132 - Carly Jaramillo
By about 1pm, my ass was getting sore from the vantage point I was shooting at. I decided to take a chance and get up , plop down between the mats or by the coaches area, and shoot from there. I would continue to shoot from there until someone kicked me out. Much better angles, less chance for obstructions, and better shots overall. One problem was I was sitting on the floor. And I’m not young anymore. So getting up was very painful. That close to the action, you also need to maintain awareness. You never know when the wrestling action goes beyond the circle and to the boundaries.


116 - Championship: Kiana Yamat v. Ashley Bumatay (Maui High)

MIL CHAMP!

137 - Nathan Inovejas vs. Christian Fontanilla (Maui High)


142 - Ferdinand Magbual v. Bubba Jaramillo



154 - Reilly Pasion v. Andrew Kahalewai (KSM)

Precious Jaramillo and Jina Miyamoto


173 - Justin Sadang v. Kailikaukekoa Ranis (Baldwin)


217 - Hercules Mataafa v. Wayne Alibin

110 - Christian Balagso

287 - Bodean Bates v. Pita Tuliau (Baldwin)

More class of 89 offspring: Reilly Pasion and Joshua Coston

By 4pm, I was like pretty hungry. I had been shooting constantly since 11am. I had been sitting uncomfortably that whole time. The PA announcer kept insisting that the championship rounds would begin at 6pm and that everyone would have to vacate the gym for a while before that. So I decided it was the best time to grab something to eat, go home, download photos and clear up the memory cards, recharge the batteries, take a shower (I was all sweaty from the second-hand sweat watching the wrestlers!) and then go back at 6pm.


132 - Wyatt Chism v. Lorenzo Angel (King Kekaulike)

142 - Bubba Jaramillo v. Noah Caparida (Molokai)



154- Reilly Pasion v. Aaron Alama (King Kekaulike)


Joshua Coston and Connor Mowat


217 - Wayne Alibin pulls out a win in the last second over  Joshua Torrecer-Hutchins (Maui)

I should’ve come back at 8pm. Because at 6pm, they hadn’t started up yet. And when they did, it was for the 5th and 6th place matches. Holy Smokes. I thought I’d be done by 7:30. At this rate, I won’t be done until 10:00pm. Again – credit to the wrestlers, their families, the coaches and officials who stay there the ENTIRE time!

For more pictures, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment