Saturday, August 4, 2012

MIL TRACK AND FIELD – March 2, 2012


I only shot one track meet all year last year and that happened to be Day 1 of the MIL Track and Field Championships. It was actually quite fun, although not having a schedule or rosters or any idea how the format of the track meet went was annoying for me. Anways, going into this track season, I intended to get to more matches and photograph a lot more events.

The Lahainaluna track team is young, but they have numbers. No one athlete stands out in any particular event, however. Last year, Shelby Liburd was one of the top female sprinters. So this year, I decided to focus on my friends’ kids: Reece Sinenci (shotput/discus), Raybeka Sinenci (pole vault/long jump) and Connor Mowat (shotput).

I patrolled the Baldwin-side of the stadium, where the finish line was and where the high jump, long jump and pole vault areas are. Last year I got great shots with my Sigma 50-500 from that vantage point as the sprinters crossed the finish line or as the hurdlers hurdled the hurdles. I also had the sun to my back which was helpful in getting some decent exposures on the athletes. Unfortunately, the 50-500 does not work very well in low light so by 6:30pm, my camera set up is pretty much useless. Since I had a couple of Menehune basketball games to cover at nearby War Memorial and Wailuku Gym, I left War Memorial around 6:20.

Hopefully I can shoot an entire track meet this year, including shotput and discus.








For more photos, click here.

For results as reported in the Maui News, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment