Wednesday, August 1, 2012

MIL GIRLS BASKETBALL: LAHAINALUNA 54, Maui High 16 – January 19, 2012


The Lady Lunas donned their pink, breast cancer awareness uniforms for their final regular season home game against Maui High. While I appreciate the symbolism of the uniforms, as a photographer, I am not a fan of the pink Pepto-Bismol uni’s. Too shiny/reflective. Hard to see the numbers.  Not the most flattering cuts for the ladies. Err.


The game itself started late due to the West Maui Basketball League still holding its games. Being a Thursday, I took my lunch at 4:30pm and left work early to make it to what I thought was a 5:30pm start for the girls. Being Senior Night, I wanted to get there with enough time to shoot the warm-ups and any posters that were being hung up for the seniors.


To my surprise, when I got there the Civic Center was packed! That was because the youth league was still playing its games. Initially, I thought – what the heck? MIL game supposed to start already so why are these kids still on the floor? Then I realized that the Civic Center is a county facility and that county programs have priority. I should be appreciative that the Lunas are back to playing in the Civic Center – as opposed to the poorly lit, hard to park sweat barn known as Lahainaluna Gym. So I bit my lip and endured watching the little kids run up and down the floor.

As for the game itself, the Lady Lunas extended their I-don’t-know –how-many-games-but-it’s-a-lot MIL record consecutive win streak with another win. This never gets boring and I don’t take it for granting. Enjoy the ride while you can!

Even the ball was pink

Haley Nakamura skies for the rebound

Seniors on the boys varsity take time out for a yearbook picture with Mr. Fillazar.

Lunas' #41 Princess Lauvao

Lunas #2 Paige Casil on the breakaway

Lindsay Bates drives baseline past Maui High's Jordyn Vega.

Petiola Tuakoi with the up-and-under


Jade Chihara making like the "logo"

All eyes on the ball.

Lunas' Makana Kaaikala, flanked by Jordyn Vega and Patricia Batoon of Maui High.

Paige Casil goes up for her final points at the Civic Center.




For Maui News article, click here.

For more photos, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment