Thursday, August 2, 2012

MIL Boys Basketball Tournament: LAHAINALUNA 52, King Kekaulike 70 – February 9, 2012


The Lunas’ season came to an end at the hands of the hot King Kekaulike basketball team 70-52 at King Kekaulike’s gym. The Lunas kept it close in the first half. But Spencer Perieff got into early foul trouble which was bad news for the Lunas as he was the only one who came to play offensively. When Perieff was whistled for two quick fouls in the beginning of the second half, that essentially ended the game for Lahainaluna.

Congratulations to Na Alii. Beat the Bears!










For the Maui News article, click here.

For more photos, click here.

My Two Cents:  Last year, I flew over to Oahu to shoot the Lady Lunas’ games at the HHSAA state tournament. As a result, I missed Lahainaluna boys’ opening round MIL tournament win versus Kamehameha Schools Maui and missed the first quarter of the tournament final against Baldwin at Baldwin. This year, I decided to do the opposite. I decided that I would sacrifice the remainder of the MIL boys tournament, even if the Lunas advanced. I was going to be in Honolulu anyway on February 10 for a deposition. I decided to book my return flight late in the evening. That way, if the Lady Lunas defeated Iolani on the 9th, they would advance to the championship game scheduled for about 7pm on Friday (February 10). If the Lady Lunas lost to Iolani in the semifinal, they would play the 3rd place game, probably at 3pm, on Friday. With the Lunas’ boy’s loss to Na Alii, it all worked out. I didn’t have to miss any more boys’ games since they were eliminated, and I was free to stay on Oahu to shoot the girls’ game without any internal pressure to fly back to Maui to catch the boys’ tournament final. I’m crazy,  right?

No comments:

Post a Comment