Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MIL JV Football: Lahainaluna 26, Kamehameha Schools Maui 27 - August 31, 2013




Crazy day. I had to attend a wedding in Wailuku. Fortunately, it was at 2pm in the afternoon so I could attend that then head to War Memorial in time to catch a little bit of the opening MIL JV football game between Lahainaluna and Kamehameha Maui.

This match up was EXTRA special, as the sons of two of my best friends growing in Lahaina were playing as freshmen for the Kamehameha Maui JV squad: Ekolu Watanabe, son of the late Reid Watanabe, and Nevan Watanabe, the son of Ray Watanabe. To be honest, I felt a little awkward shooting the Warriors' warm up - Lahainaluna fans may have felt a little "betrayed" while Kamehameha coaches were probably wondering who was spying on them! haha





The plan was to shoot the first half. Then the wife would pick me up in the parking lot and go to the wedding reception Upcountry. Hopefully, when the program ended and the dancing started at the wedding I could sneak away back into town to catch the second half of the varsity game. Stressful indeed!

A friend of mine was kind enough to agree to take over the shooting the JV game when I left. I had all the extra camera gear ready for him but he never showed. He was apparently stuck coming out of Hana and they arrived at the stadium after half time.

So my apologies for having NO second half photos and for all the Kamehameha-centric photos in the album linked below.


I also apparently missed a very exciting game. It was close and the Lunas took a 22-21 lead with less than a minute left in the game. But the Warriors were able to score in the last second to win 27-22. What a crazy game that must've been.

For photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment