Wednesday, November 6, 2013

MIL JV Football: Lahainaluna 19 v. Kamehameha Schools Maui 0 - October 12, 2013

Not a football shot, but it looked like the West Maui Mountains were on fire!

Another football game Upcountry! Love it! This time at Kamehameha Maui. Last year I came up a little bit late and missed the warmups. Earlier this year I could only shoot the first half because I had to get to a wedding party. So this time, I made sure I got there early enough to get set up and shoot warm-ups, and get shots of the Watanabe boys: Ekolu and Nevan. (Unfortunately, Nevan did not play due to a concussion).


A little air guitar action
 
 
 
 
 









I had fun shooting warm-ups. Usually I only have time to focus on the defensive back drills and the passing/receiving drills. This time I spent some time with the linemen and it was fun watching these big kids go one-on-one on each other.

 
 
 

My partner in crime Imua Lunas was back, after being out of state. He apparently flew into Maui earlier today and headed straight for the stadium. Good to have another shooter - last week felt weird with only one shooter - I felt like I was missing plays.

As luck would have it, it rained hard on the way up by Pukalani after it was sweltering hot and humid down on the isthmus. The dark cloud hung over the stadium all afternoon but it never really rained on us while the game was going on - thank goodness. I am seriously tired of rain.

Shot exclusively with my Sigma 120-300 f/2.8. Decided to focus on some tighter individual shots of players, trying for faces, etc. I had my 24-70 on my D300 on my rapid strap. I also intended to use my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for wide angle shot of the alma mater for the varsity game. I was really liking my shots with the 120-300. Haven't used the Sigma 50-500 in a while now. I love it in the daylight, but too humbug to lug around when the sun goes down. Especially here, Upcountry, where it is a hike and a half just to get back to my truck.

The JV boys did an excellent job of avenging their heartbreak loss to the Warriors in the first matchup. Lunas controlled this game on both ends of the ball and won 19-0. Poor Ekolu was getting the short end of the playcalling. He got stopped in the backfield on many occasions but certainly not due to any fault of his own.
























For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment