Tuesday, October 7, 2014

BBQ CHICKEN RALLY FOR LAHAINALUNA FOOTBALL – September 20, 2014


If you thought it was hot in Kapalua for cross-country, it was even hotter AND SMOKIER in Honokowai where the 5th Annual Times Supermarket BBQ Chicken Rally to support Lahainaluna football was underway. Barry Helle of ESPN Maui AM900 was on hand to MC the opening festivities, as was members of the football team, cheerleaders, the band, coaches, coaches’ wives and numerous Lahainaluna football supporters to help cook the chicken, prepare and distribute the plates.

This being the bye week for football, the Boarders were absent from the festivities as they had a more important – and traditional – activity to participate in: the liming of the “L”.

I headed here after the Cross-Country meet. I was intending only to stay for a while, to at least get my plate, then head to Kahului to catch the JV Girls Volleyball game at Maui High. But I decided to stick around and take photos of the festivities. This was the first time I’ve been able to attend this event. Aside from the blazing heat, it was fun . . .to watch! But I would’ve hated to been working! Kudos to all the students, athletes and volunteers who were out there for HOURS.

After getting my plate,  I decided to head north to Honokowai Park to grind while it was still fresh. Wow, the chicken was ONO!


Hopefully, the Lunas will retain the Football trophy again this year.










For more photos, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment